Sunday, May 30, 2010

R.I.P. Overload: Frank, Billy, Arnold, Stephen, Robert, Art

I really hate doing R.I.P. posts.  Do I really need to explain why?  I mean, it's depressing to write about death.  However, I feel even worse when I choose to ignore it here...
Frank Frazetta was a great illustrator whose works include countless spreads, album covers (especially Molly Hatchet) and, of course, the classic Fire & Ice.
Dennis Hopper was a crazy and eccentric actor who managed to put all of that onto the screen  Best described as 'America's Klaus Kinski,' the man starred in dozens of films and directed many as well.
Gary Coleman was an '80s icon whose work will easily overshadow his personal problems.  How many of us can say that they ran for Governor of California and appeared in Postal 2?
Stephen Perry was the writer of the Thundercats cartoon.  This is a show that really played a big role in my childhood, alongside He-Man and Silverhawks.  To have his death happen in my home-state makes it all the more poignant.
Robert Serling was the brother of Twilight Zone creator Rod Serling.  His most famous work is as a newspaper writer.  Living long past his brother, he made the most out of his 92-year life.
Art Linkletter was a tv icon and appeared in numerous classic shows.  Even if you don't know his work off-hand, you have to know that name!

Like I said, I would love if I didn't have to do these.  I just want to write funny stuff and make people laugh.  That's life, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment