Sunday, October 9, 2016

Quick Reviews: The Tick (Amazon Pilot)

While the Show doesn't need my help right now since Amazon already ordered a Full Season, I still might as well talk about it...
The Good
- The Characters are all there you need at the start- Arthur and The Tick.
- The look of everything is great.
- Peter Serafinowicz as The Tick is gold.  He delivers all of the weird Tick lines beautifully.
- I love the new Tick suit.  It feels 'new' without losing the feel for me.
- The Pilot crams alot of key information nicely into 30 minutes, even finding time to mock the 'Use of Narration' Cliche nicely.
- They also give Arthur some extra motivation to make his heroic journey more logical.  All in all, good stuff.  Now...
Bad Stuff
- While I liked the Dark Comedy, it has clearly turned some people off.  If you just know the Cartoon Version, this will seem odd.
- They also go pretty deep and dark into Arthur.  If you're not on-board, well, too bad.
- Worth noting: none of the Sidekicks appear.  This is only the Pilot, of course.
- My minor nitpick: Serafinowicz doing an American accent was distracting at first.  He's good at though- I just like his real voice better.
Damn.  I wasn't sure what to expect from this 2nd attempt to do a Live-Action Tick.  This time, they nailed it!  If you only associate The Tick with the Cartoon, you'll be surprised how twisted its Creator- Ben Edlund- can be.  He wrote the one Episode of Venture Brothers that turned Shaggy into The Son of Sam, so...no shock to me.  They really play with the conventions in a nice way.  The Tick is crazy, fun and clearly off.  He's still a Superhero, but he's also crazy.  They got the mannerism just right for me- not too silly, not too serious.  Taking up the slack there is Arthur, who's backstory here is much more dramatic than the Cartoon.  I dig it.  The Pilot sets alot of stuff up and I really want to see where it goes.  Now that it is going to be at least one full Season, my hopes are high!  Let's go ahead and make this a Meme now...
Fun, strange stuff.  I can't wait to see how the rest of the Season turns out now!

No comments:

Post a Comment