Monday, October 8, 2018

(Almost) Immediate Response: Venom (2018)

So I saw this the other day, but wasn't home to write this.  After sleeping a night on it, I'm ready to talk about...
The Good
* The Film conveys the 'Body-Horror' aspect of the Story well, making it feel very invasive.
* To his credit, Tom Hardy did better here than I expected.  His accent is definitely-better in the final product and he really commits to it all.
* The 'Girlfriend is always in Peril' thing is thankfully-avoided, as Michele Williams is strong here and actually saves him sometimes.
* The Story worked better than expected with the excising of Spider-Man from the lore.
* In the early parts, they make good use of the symbiote's abilities.

The Bad
* For all of the attempts at comedy, very few worked for me.  I legitimately laughed fully once.
* When they go 'full Venom,' the action can be hard to follow.  This is especially true in the climax as the final fight is a bit messy with two similarly-colored symbiotes and all of the flailing.
* Obvious cuts were made to make this PG-13.  If it was done seamlessly, I might not be bothered.
* Is there still a Symbiote Rabbit hopping around somewhere?
* Tacking on a funny (but vastly-different) Scene from the new Spider-Man Cartoon is jarring as hell here!  It's a bit better than the X-Men teaser after the second Amazing Spider-Man though...I guess.

I went in looking to see if this Film would be the train wreck everyone said or a good surprise.  It's a bit in the middle for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment