Monday, December 19, 2016

Top Ten Best Films of 2016 (That I Reviewed)

Alright, last one.  Honest.

The only requirements here: I reviewed the Film and it came out in 2016.

All clear?  Okay!
Honorable mentions go to Sadako vs. Kayako, Antibirth, Ghostbusters, Lazer Team, Holidays, The Dooms Chapel Horror, Assassination Classroom: The Graduation, The Mermaid, Batman: Bad Blood Electra Woman and Dyna Girl.

10. Midnight Special: This one came with lots of hype, but still very much delivered.  The Story is strong, the Acting is great and it all just plain works.
9. Stranger Things: Am I cheating by including this?  Maybe.  Is the Internet going to care?  Not likely.  It is just that damn good!

8. Spotlight: Do I look like a real Critic by including this one?  I joke, but it was quite good and definitely deserves all the praise that it gets.  Just forget that the same Director also made The Cobbler.

7. League of Gods: Pure bizarre spectacle.  It barely makes a lick of sense, but I loved it!

6. Doctor Strange: Yes, I may be a Marvel Fanboy, but it is easy when they make such good Films.  I can only really nitpick this one for little things.  It made a Character work that Marvel had so little faith in that they hadn't tried to give him another real shot since the 70s!

5. Green Room: You can't live forever, but you can at least Star in really good Movies before you go.  Anton Yelchin may not be with us anymore, but this nail-biting, claustrophobic new Classic still us.
4. Batman- Return of the Caped Crusaders: Hey, it's my List now!  This Animated Film nailed the Batman 66' spirit, had some of the Original Cast and was actually a more complex narrative than I expected.  Batman fights in Zero G.  What else do you need?!?

3. The VVitch: A 17th Century Horror Film?  Who would have guessed!  Maybe we should make more Films like this.

2. Deadpool: If you're judging solely by quality, the Film has many issues.  If you're judging based on how awesome it is, Deadpool should win all the Oscars!  High five, Mr. Pool!

1. Captain America- Civil War:Yeah, I'm totally-biased.  This one is great because it legitimately-built off of everything Marvel has done.  Characters have relationships going back several Films, events not mentioned aside from one Film (like Winter Soldier) play a big part and, of course,the Airport Scene.  I don't have to defend this pick, do I?
So that's my final, final List.

I can't wait to see what 2017 has in store for me.  Can DC make a solid, live-action Film?  Can Marvel keep pace?

No comments:

Post a Comment