Friday, October 16, 2009

Mondo Trivia Overload!: Freddy vs. Jason

A film of this horror magnitude is bound to have many bits of trivia surrounding it. Here are a few...

*The original plan was for it to be a film that featured Jason fighting Michael Meyers. I guess the idea of two mute killers was deemed 'boring.'

*This idea was set up in the 9th Friday the 13th film in 1993. Gee, it only took 10 years to follow this up!

*Many alternate endings were proposed for the film, but not used. These included...

-An ending where a fight between Jason and Freddy is put in an arena that is overseen by Satan. A bit strange, but cool.
-The fight between Freddy and Jason is broken up by Satan's giant hand pulling them into Hell. That's a bit much.
-Freddy and Jason's fight is taking place in a dark pit and viewed by hundreds of red eyes. That's more vague, but cool.
-An ending where a fight between Jason and Freddy in Hell is broken up by Pinhead. Why didn't you use this one?

*Rob Zombie turned down a chance to direct this. He wanted to wait a few years to mutilate a horror franchise, I guess.

*This is the first Freddy film not made in the United States, making it hard to find a replacement Elm Street house.

*Ronny Yu also directed Warriors of Virtue. That's unrelated, but I just want you to know who is responsible for that crap. At least he made Fearless as penance.

That's enough for now. By the way, I should thank IMDB for a lot of the little details. They are great like that. Stay tuned...

5 comments:

  1. Y'know, I recognize FvJ as a fun little side-trip, or a "what-if", really. But it doesn't come even close to truly capturing the spirit of either franchise for me, and I was disappointed by that a little. And to that end, I think involving Satan or demons would have been even goofier and made it worse.

    The film has its rabid fans, and I'm not really trying to detract from it or anything... but, I dunno, I could spend hours and then some going on about how I think it could've been better. But so could a million other fan-geeks, I guess, and what's the use anyway, etc. So I'll just leave it at this: it seems even more dumbed-down than its respective franchises did, and that is what I will always think of -first- when I think of "FREDDY VS. JASON".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, I thought FvsJ was decent enough for what it was. I mean, I thought it was better than the worst films of both franchises--but not nearly as good as the best films in either. (Hope that makes sense...I'm sick and my head is fuzzy.) Regardless, there were multiple scripts that were written and rejected, and these alternate endings you speak of were actually pulled from these rejected scripts. I've read and reviewed four of them on my blog, but I know there are even more than that floating around out there somewhere.

    --J/Metro

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, the whole idea just did nothing for me. Mind you, I've never been a Freddy or Jason fan-boy, so I'm not the target audience.

    I would say, if I was a fan of them, I might appreciate all the referent bits in there. The Trivia page on IMDB is chock full of them!

    I still maintain that the horror crossover idea is not complete until we get Leprechaun vs. Candyman! That idea is golden!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never knew Zombie had a swing at this and opted out? Interesting.. Imagine the shaky possibilities

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi. i,m from Romania , origin country of Dracula.
    i own a tourism agency , and i can organise a very nice trip here in Romania , 8-10 days , on the Dracula way. its real way where legends are mix whit reality!
    we offer all , including transport during all period , guide , and more.
    for complete offer who are interesed please reply in my email rivmentz@yahoo.com.

    ReplyDelete