Saturday, October 17, 2009

Blockbuster Trash: Dream Warrior (2003)

I really hate being lied to. Whether it is by my elected representatives or my video store, it is not a pleasant thing. Today's movie is an example of the latter. It promises you so much with its cover- see below- and delivers almost none of it. Then again, it does warn you of some quality issues there. For one thing, it stars Lance Henriksen. Aside from the show Millennium, Near Dark and Aliens, how many other great works with him in it can you name? It also features Isaac Hayes, who was not the most discerning person when it came to screenplays either (i.e. Truck Turner). I will be nice to the late Mr. Hayes, since he was actually one of the more interesting and consistent parts of the movie. Let's just dive right into this movie cesspool known as...
This movie is nothing like its cover, as I stated. It is actually a generic post-apocalyptic movie that also involves people with low-rent mutant powers. Basically, Lance plays this crazy cultist who thinks that he is God's prophet and preaches the values of purity. This does not sit well with the rest of the people, since they have evolved in X-Men-style mutants. Before you get too excited, I should tell you that this movie is too low-budget to give you any good use of their powers. The best you get for most of the movie is a guy with electric powers touching a pinball machine and 'turning it on.' That's the same as some optic blasts, right? What kind of heroes do we get?
*
Our lead guy is played Daniel Goddard and his sole personality is rebelling against the bad guy. We get a woman (Fenn)whose job is to protect some important baby and who mostly just reacts. Isaac Hayes is a weird prophet guy who has the power to summon stock lion sound effects. No, really. Oh and, just because, here is a shot of a truck from the ICMDB- you're welcome. Lance is not too bad as the villain honestly, but he still presents that air of 'I don't care what I'm doing' that has been on his face for about fifteen years. If you doubt me, watch The Mangler 2. This movie goes through the motions as well and does nothing to exactly impress. Hayes' character seems to realize this, which is why he walks away before the ending fight- good call. The End.
*
I apologize for this not being my usual length, but there is just not much to say. I could have made it longer by pointing out all of the cliches, but you had to know all of that already. It is just so utterly cliche that it hurts. Instead of prolonging this, I will just share with you the alternate poster that is much more honest-

Up next, a British film about a Satanic cult. Why do I feel like I will be letdown by this? Stay tuned...

2 comments:

  1. PUMPKINHEAD. 'Nuff said.

    Thats literally the only other title. Was this even an Asylum release?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, Dream Warrior was not made by The Asylum, proving that people can make shit on their own. BTW the production company has only made one major film in English- this one. I can't imagine why...

    ReplyDelete