Saturday, June 23, 2012

Horror Crap-llection: Haunted From Within

Are your bowels haunted?  That's not really the question posed in this film, but it sure sounds like it.  No, instead, this is the tale of a ghost who possesses women to make them kill their children.  Ah, the usual light fare, I see!  What does this movie have?  Lots of padding, lots of dialogue and some weird optical effects.  That's...great?  In all seriousness, this movie seems like it could have been really interesting, what with its investigative side, it's loner lead and the promise for some real ghost action.  Alas, it really fails to capitalize on any of that.  To find out just why this film fails, read on...
The first thing I'm sure that you noticed is that this film is not called Haunted from Within.  Yes, it's from the Legion: The Final Exorcism school of 'let's make a silly title sound more serious.'  At least it's not just a cheap cash-in.

In a text-filled, exposition dump, we learn that our hero was legally-dead, but came back and can see ghosts.  Of course, I'm distracted by this newspaper's weird concept of how to capitalize things...
Thanks to some weird Editing, this woman wakes up to find her kids drowned in the tub.  I kind of applaud you for not showing it, but, at the same time, it takes the 'teeth' away from the film a bit.
While our hero eventually becomes important, the woman is interrogated.  Again- a minor detail distracts me.  What's with the sandwich?
Our hero eventually works on the case, which is part of his thesis that all women killers were actually possessed by ghosts and/or demons.  No, really.
The movie falls apart because all of the tedium and dull acting is a build up to this...
Yeah, you can stop doing that now.
Okay, if you're not going to try, I won't either.  The End.
Even I couldn't muster up enough interest in this one. I wanted to like it- honest. The no-frills approach to it is alright. I don't immediately hate movies with no budget, although it may seem that way. What I hate is the kind of movies that don't use their resources well. It can be a problem with big budget movies- see Waterworld and the decision to build a giant city...floating in the Ocean. This movie is just dull, listless and made me struggle to watch it. All of it is just silly, but not really in that good way. The story- crap. The acting- meh. The whole production- zzz. There are far worse films out there- Hi, Hobgoblins 2, Jaws in Japan & Open Water 2- but this one just left me struggling to care. I did learn a lesson though. If you have a bad 'Insert Effect', make sure to hold the shot for a long time...
Next up, a comedy film about zombies and a disgruntled couple. Make me laugh- I dare you! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment