Monday, January 23, 2012

Forgotten Toons: Monster Force

Because nobody demanded it and I watched it, Forgotten Toons is back!  If it stays back, well, that's up to you...

Thanks to Netflix, obscure crap like this is available.  On the flip-side, obscure crap like this is available thanks to Netflix.  This show is a bit complicated, so allow me to explain.  People in jumpsuits and coats fight monsters.  Actually, it's pretty simple.  This show is notable for trying to work in a number of famous movie monsters, including Dracula, The Wolfman and Frankenstein.  It's also full of many weird creatures, odd scenes and characters that defy explanation.  Let's read on, shall we...
Dracula is the main villain of the show.  In the Pilot, he tries to use an amulet of a Japanese Sun Goddess to block out the sun.  That's...unique, I'll give them that.
Adam- aka Frankenstein's Monster- is one of the heroes.  They don't explain how this works or anything.  However, he does share a bond with the team's psychic: Shelley Frank.  No, really.
Vampires can shoot lasers in this show.  I just wanted to point that out.
Another episode features the Creature from the Black Lagoon, although it is also tied into Lovecraft.  It has the power to change size via perspective as well...
Your hand got bigger.  You aren't going to tip the boat...
...over, are you?  That's impressive.
The third episode I checked out features a tale about a town that appears every 100 years and eats people.  You can't make this shit up!
The day is saved when our heroes create a storm by saturating a cloud to cause a storm that sends lightning down to super-charge Adam.  No, really.
In summary, this is a show with neat ideas behind it, but the introductory episodes left something to be desired.  Like a lot of shows from the '90s, it feels like the characters were taken from a list of cliches.  This applies to both design- check out the trenchcoats and M.A.S.K.-style masks- and personality.  The interesting characters- including a guy who can control his lycanthropy and the psychic Frank- don't do much to make themselves stand out.  I should also point out that the Pilot sets up very little for the characters, which is kind of the opposite of what you're supposed to do!  I have many questions about the science and magic mentioned in the show, but I won't waste your time with them here.  Overall, it's an interesting idea for a show...but it falls flat.  That said, the other episodes could make the show leave more of an impact.  I'm not holding out a lot of hope, however, considering this 'on the nose' reference...
Are you in the mood for more Forgotten Toons?  If so, Comment here and let me know how you feel.

P.S. VHS For The Win is pushed back to Tuesday.  I assume that you care, so there you go.

3 comments:

  1. I am hoping for DiC's animated Sabrina canon (Sabrina: The Animated Series, Sabrina: Friends Forever, and Sabrina's Secret Life), mostly due to a new Sabrina toon coming this Fall, and that these shows are not good anyway!

    J.A.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was among the many cartoons shown on Sundays, so I remembered it. I even had a toy of the werewolf character.

    The villainous werewolf allied with Dracula was named "Bela" by the way.

    The whole series can be found on DVD. However, another show around the same time as this series that was even more ludicrous:
    King Arthur & the Knights of Justice

    It's about a football team that gets sucked back in time to the age of King Arthur.
    I'm not making this up.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Arthur_%26_the_Knights_of_Justice

    If I wanted to go really obscure, I sometimes feel like I'm the only person who remembers Barnyard Commandos. Or Rude Dog and the Dweebs.
    Not to mention, I terribly miss Dino-Riders (I'm shocked to see from Toy'r'us that Fischer Price brought them back for younger kids recently).

    ReplyDelete
  3. As far as the 'Sabrina' shows, I wouldn't mind looking at them. I'm just not sure that I'm even remotely-close to the audience for it.

    Don't say too much about 'King Arthur' now. I've got plans for it later...

    ReplyDelete