Sunday, July 31, 2016

'Black' History Year: Black Mirror- White Bear

I guess I should finally start doing this again, huh?  Let's take a look at the next Episode of...
This one is all about mystery, bizarre moments and masks.  What is the secret of...
A woman wakes up alone in a mysterious house with no memories.  What has happened to her?  Did she date Bill Cosby?
Strange people in masks are here too and they are in pursuit.  What kind of 2000s Horror Movie did she wake up in?!?
On top of that, none of the unmasked people will talk to her or help her, choosing instead to just film her on their phones.  I guess they don't have those eye cameras then.
What is the dark secret behind this strange day in this woman's life?  I'd ruin it for too many people to say, so...no SPOILERS.
This is a strong one, even if I can't exactly go into too much detail as to why.  Sticking SPOILER-free, this one really lays the mystery and crazy on thick.  It just Cold Opens and takes awhile to ever tell you what is happening.  Full disclosure: this was the first Episode I ever saw.  I didn't know what this even was- as I live in America- when I was exposed to it.  All things considered, it isn't a bad way to start.  It is also worth noting that the Show's Episodes are so self-contained that you can watch any of them in any order.  Without talking about the revelation of this one, I can still praise it highly.  The way it is all shot and Edited makes you stay on your toes.  When you finally found out the reason for all of what is happening, it makes it even better.  It somehow both works well with the twists, but also doesn't 'live or die by them.'  If you don't like the reveal, the Episode is still good.  If you love the reveal, it is even better.  It just works.  Now if only I could figure out why Atari is the bad guy here...
Next time, a Political Episode about Cartoons.  Does this finally signify the return of Jib Jab?  See you then...

No comments:

Post a Comment