Saturday, September 12, 2009

Forgotten Horror Moments : Return of the Evil Dead

Armando D'Ossorio was a very underrated director in his day. The man was responsible for all four of the official Blind Dead films, including Tombs of the Blind Dead and Night of the Seagulls. Pretty much the only major complaint I can make about the films as a whole is that they are not a series. Instead, they are just four different 'happenings' of the zombie Knights Templar rising up. They are all in different locations and with different reasons for them. Once you get past this, you've got four great horror films (three, if you are in the majority of hating The Ghost Galleon for some reason). While I'm not a huge fan of the ending, the second film is probably my favorite as a whole. One moment in particular I feel is deserving of another look. So let's check out...
Return of the Evil Dead
This is what you need to know: the Knights Templar have risen from 'you graves' and have begun to kill the townspeople. They have done this because a full moon has timed up with the 500th anniversary of their blinding/execution by the townspeople. In summary, these people have terrible luck and must pay for something they did not really do.
*
All of the survivors have locked themselves up in the Mayor's mansion and are surrounded by the still forms of the Dead. These killers stand stoically until something gets their attention. This is important for later, so take notes. As our heroes talk about what to do, the devious and dickish Mayor has his own plans. He wants someone to distract the Dead so that he can get to the car that is parked out in the road in front of the house. His first plan is to get his assistant- with torch in hand- to do just that. This ends with the man getting his arm cut off (the one with the torch) and killed. His next plan- using the man's kid. I told you that he was 'dick.'
*
He tells the kid that is dad outside and wants to see him. He basically shoves the kid out there and stands in the doorway, just like he did before with the dad. The kid closes his eyes in fear and walks around, calling for his dad. Just like animals perking up when they hear prey approaching, the Dead begin to rustle and slowly approach the kid. The silence of the monsters juxtaposed with the kid's crying is amazingly effective. For those who say that zombies can't be scary simply because they are slow, I say 'watch this scene.' Before the kid is killed, our heroes manage to rush out and save him. I know that you were worried there.
*
Next on the agenda, a film about a giant lizard in New York. No, it is not Godzilla. Stay tuned...

5 comments:

  1. I loooove the Blind Dead series... and am probably on the same page as you - I think the second one is the best/most exciting. Although the brutal, downer end of the first one always grabs me, too.

    I also don't have anything in particular against the 3rd/GHOST GALLEON entry as a whole movie, although I will say that the absolutely -terrible- 'burning ship' FX at the end kinda ruins everything and takes ya outta the mood. Worst special effect ever. Ed Wood could'a done better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I couldnt disagree with you guys more, but I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that my copy of Return is the edited American version. I thought it was a boring retread on the original with absolutely no new contributions and much less gore and atmosphere. I really need to grab the box and see all of them uncut, only seen the first in all its original glory

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes Carl - I haven't had the displeasure of any other versions, I'm only going from the awesome coffin-shaped box that has premium versions on each disc - although I can't remember if I've watched both the dubbed and subbed on this second part or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The proper DVDs of the films are quite good. "Tombs" has the American version and the unaltered International one, for example.

    While I agree that the original's ending is better,- and interestingly framed as part of the story- I still like "Return."

    I also agree about the boat effects in "Ghost." However, I think that the way they shot the rest of the ending makes up for it. I wish more films would take lessons from that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first two BLIND DEAD films are both favorites of mine. I wish that the score by Anton Garcia Abril would get an issue on CD. It's one of the spookiest goosebump raising soundtracks I've ever heard.

    I also feel Carpenter took elements from the second and third movie when he made THE FOG (1979).

    ReplyDelete