Thursday, August 6, 2015

Quick Reviews: Insidious

Alright, alright- I'll touch this Franchise.  Believe it or not, this may be my first James Wan Film Review...
A young Family moves into a new Home and has to deal with the issues involved.  In addition...
One of their Sons suddenly goes into a mysterious Coma!  Doctors are no help as the Months go by.
When things get really bad, the Mother comes to Visit and talks about a dream she had.  Evil is in the House!

Well, that or Finn Balor.
The Mother gets them to call in some Experts- including the Film's Screenwriter on the left there.  Will this WASPy Tangina save the day?
Without SPOILing too much, the Father (Patrick Wilson, from my hometown BTW) must go to a dark place to rescue his Son.
Even if they can get the job done right, what dark secret is revealed at the End of this Film?  I won't SPOIL it...until I kind of have to when I Review the Sequel.  The End.
A good Film, but not mind-blowing.  Considering all of the hype, was I expecting more?  The Story isn't bad, but never really escapes cliche too much.  Supposedly the Writer- Leigh Whannel- had a Board up in his Office with Horror Cliches up in order to avoid them.  He did avoid a few, but not as many as you might think.  The Story hits a number of familiar beats and many of the jump scares are pretty telegraphed.  Visual aspects are inspired by/lifted fully from Films like The Exorcist, Poltergeist, A Nightmare on Elm Street and a little bit of Pan's Labyrinth.  The Acting is mostly good, feeling very natural.  I'm still not a big fan of Leigh Whannel as an Actor though.  He's not distractingly-bad, but he isn't all that good either.  Overall, they do a good job establishing mood and atmosphere, which is a must for a Film like this.  In summary, I get the initial hype that the Film got, but don't necessarily love it as much as everyone else.  It was nice to see the return of The Woman In Black though...
A good Film, but it was a bit cliche for me at times.  I was never *too surprised* by this one, but it is solid enough.

1 comment:

  1. You love the Woman in Black? The whole sequel is basically about her :)

    ReplyDelete