Tuesday, July 28, 2015

New Flix: We Are Still Here (2015)

It is nice to be ahead of the curve.  Today's Film is We Are Still Here, a 2015 Horror Film that I got as part of the random batch of Films for my Birthday.  I'm getting through them at my own pace, thank you very much.  This is one of the 'slow-burn Films.'  People tend to either love or hate them.  As far as I go, I don't mind a slow pace if it is worth the time put into it.  The Film tells the tale of a sad couple that move into a new home.  Naturally, something goes wrong and all hell eventually breaks loose.  Who will live?  Who will die?  What is the secret of the House?  I won't SPOIL too much here, but I will give you enough info to help make up your mind about this one.  To find out what is what, read on...
This couple is moving out to the countryside to get away from their old life and Home.
Unfortunately, they may not be alone in this Home.  The Guest isn't one of the living...
They are eventually visited by some Neighbors and (without SPOILing anything) there is more than meets the eye going on here.

I mean, come on- it is a Movie.  Of course something more is going on!
Our heroes eventually have some Guests over- her friend and a spouse- and they are Mediums.
Meanwhile, whatever is in the House doesn't always play nice.

This poor Electrician would be a Poor Bastard of Cinema, but he's more scared than hurt.
What is keeping them up at nights?  What is the secret of the House and what role does the Town play into it?  To find out, watch the Film.
This one is worth the wait.  The Film is definitely a 'slow-burn,' but it totally works.  The people are nice and understated.  The Setting contains menace, but could easily be in any other Film.  It works as a Haunted House, but you could also totally live in this place.  The key thing is that you have to feel for these Characters so that you get invested in their Story.  While the Story hits alot of familiar beats, ti does them well, so I can't complain too much.  All of the Actors do their parts well.  The Writing is quite good too.  With that combination, you get solid, believable Characters and a natural Story.  While I won't SPOIL what the creatures look like, I will say that they are neat.  They don't show them too much and too often, but it makes them feel extra special when they show up.  The whole Film is nice and the Climax is no exception.  The only SPOILER for the overall Ending I'll give you is this nice Reaction Shot...
Next up, a Film that I watched last week...but was unsure of what to do with it.  Reluctantly, I bring you one of the most ridiculously-offensive things I've seen.  Stay tuned...

3 comments:

  1. Just curious: why are the screenshots so distorted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My copy is not an *official* DVD and some of the File Formats don't mesh 100% right with VLC Media Player.

      It plays fine on TV, so don't ask me why that happens.

      Delete