Sunday, February 19, 2012

Just For the Record...

I do watch good movies.  Granted, people- like my parents- often take me to them, but it still counts.  Here are some good, Oscar-nominated films (or featuring nominated performances) that I have seen in the last year or so...

The Artist: This homage to Silent Films- which is a Silent film itself- is great.  How do you combine unbridled whimsy and serious character drama?  I don't know- but someone did it.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: It's a bleak, dark character study.  It's well-acted, well-shot and high-quality.  It's not my cup of tea for the most part, but I can't deny the quality.

Bridesmaids: Hey, it's still an Oscar nominee- twice.  This movie is often referred to as the female answer to the Judd Apatow films.  It's a pretty accurate summary, although the film is aided by a surprisingly-good performance by Melissa McCarthy.

Rango/Kung-Fu Panda 2: As you can see, the nomination process is easy if you're an animated film.  All kidding aside, both of these films are good in their own ways.  For the record though, Kung-Fu Panda 2 is better.  The former falls apart without its lead and lacks serious Direction.

Transformers- Dark of the Moon: Hey, it's up for three Oscars.  Fun fact- The Adventures of Tin-Tin is only up for one.  To be fair, this movie is not as bad as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  To be fair, kidney stones, Chinese water torture and that fish that swims up your urethra are not as bad as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.  Everything without Shia is at least tolerable...at times.

Okay, so I haven't seen films like Moneyball, Hugo, The Descendants, The War Horse, Midnight in Paris, Beginners or even Real Steel (nominated for Best Achievement in Visual Effects).

Then again...what was my point again?

1 comment:

  1. I've seen at least 2 of the movies you mentioned here:
    Bridesmaids (quite entertaining) & The Descendants (a fuckin' masterpiece).

    ReplyDelete