Thursday, December 13, 2018

Top 10 Surprises of MY 2018:

This are the Films that surprised me in 2018.  They just didn't *necessarily* have to come out in 2018.

Comprende?  Good.
10. Urban Legends- Bloody Mary: It didn't suck.  A good Director clearly helps, as this Movie shows.  It's just not good enough to make my Best of the Year.

9. Scanners 3- The Takeover: It wasn't good.  It was just so much ridiculous fun that I couldn't believe it.  It was better than the 2nd Film in that regard and more balanced as far as Pacing than the last 2.  It's the best-worst Sequel!

8. The Evil Dead (1981): It's not Breaking News to tell you that this Film is good.  What is notable is just how well it holds up.  I thought for sure that something would feel outdated here in 2018.  I was wrong and happy to be so.
7. Tag (2018): I don't always see Films alone and I don't always see them out of some burning desire to see one.  In this case, I saw this with my Family, as it was the consensus pick.  I wasn't expecting much.  To my surprise, it was actually good and had some depth buried under all of the silliness.  This kind of flew under the radar too, so give it a chance on Digital.

6. Constantine- City of Demons/Suicide Squad- Hell to Pay: Both were better than they had any right to be.  Both were bloodier than a cheap Steak.  DC can deliver...on DVD/Streaming.

5. The Happytime Murders: It didn't suck.  It was funny.  It had Social Commentary.  It will be on many Worst of the Year Lists I'm sure, but it surprised me in a good way.   Big whoop- wanna fight about it?
4. Nightbreed- The Cabal Cut: Okay, so I guess I was lying before.  This Cut actually did affect the Movie in a major way- I doubted that.  For me, it is a far superior Version.  Now I'm done writing about it.  Maybe...

3. Mandy: This is a tricky one to include.  It got LOTS of hype online before I saw it.  I really liked the Film.  So it's almost more a 'Surprise- you actually agreed with most people' situation than a 'Surprise- you liked it' thing.  That makes sense, right?

2. The Frozen Ground: Another Nic Cage Movie?!?  This is not a new Film, but one that I'd considered watching for a while.  Could a Film with two people- the other being John Cusack- who almost solely make Direct-to-DVD dreck be good?

Yes.  While it has one too many Subplots and adds unnecessary Drama to a real-life case, it was still far better than I expected.

1. Street Smart: A blind buy pays off! This is a Canon Film that manages to actually be good. The late Christopher Reeve would only do Superman IV (which narrowly missed out being in my Bottom 10 of 2018) if they made his pet project. It's actually good- this Film, that is.

Sadly, it got him no Oscar (or nomination!), but did get one for Morgan Freeman.

So those were my big surprises of 2018.

Did your favorites make the List?

No comments:

Post a Comment