Saturday, December 29, 2018

Top 10 BEST Films of 2018 (That I Reviewed)

As always, great-to-good Films that I didn't cover don't make the List.  Sorry if your favorite is missing and/or I didn't see it.

Honorable Mentions: Batman- Ninja, Tag, Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, Tales from the Hood 2, The Death of Superman (2018), Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay, Can You Ever Forgive Me? (I didn't review it, but it's good).
Hey, I liked DC stuff this Year- just not Theatrically.

10. The Happytime Murders: I'm in the minority on this- granted. The Film was funny, had some deep moments and makes the most of a weird premise. I'm okay if everyone doesn't like it though.

9. Constantine- City of Demons: A surprise success from, all of places, the CW Seed. It doesn't get the attention that Hulu, Netflix or Amazon gets, but they made one good, surprising Cartoon this Year. They go dark here. They get creative here. They go a little deep here too. Seriously- the CW Seed!

8. Ant-Man and the Wasp: The one MCU Film that wasn't appreciated much this Year. There's always one- it just happens to be Ant-Man again! Following in the wake of the surprise hit that was Black Panther (see above) and the titanic success that was Infinity War (also above), this one snuck in under the radar. It's not seen as a 'big hit' (with a gross of nearly $700 million). That said, it is fun, creative and tells a self-contained story. When it connects bigger next Year, let's see what happens...

7. Ghost Stories: A good export. This Film was recommended by many people and...it was good. All 3 Stories are strong in their own way and the Framing Device is creative. They do more than just set them up. The only reason it ranks so low is due to my issues with the Ending. It doesn't ruin the Film for me- it just lowers its spot.

6. Mandy: It's all Greek to me. This one was recommended by all sorts of people. To my surprise, it delivered. While it takes a while to get started, when the Film reaches the 2nd Act, it is pure bonkers! It's the closest thing I'll ever experience to an Acid Trip.

5. Deadpool 2: It's less of a shock this time, but still good. Nobody expected what we got from the first Film. This Film couldn't surprise people (much) again, so they just made a Film that was good. They got the balance of serious to crass better & made all of their Meta Jokes pay off. And no, I don't need to see the PG-13 Recut.
4. Hereditary: The last one to make the list, but it quickly shot up to this spot with ease. This Film is dark. This Film is well-acted. This Film is weird! When all is said and done, things seem to line up. Some people don't like how it lines up- that's fine. I was on-board with it, especially since the Director made the build-up worth it. I'm glad I made the time for this.

3. Isle of Dogs: Yes, I watch stuff other than Comic Book Films. This Stop-Motion Film got some flack for Casting, but I still liked it a lot. It's a good Story with a good Cast and it's presented in an interesting way- what else do you need?

2. Black Panther: How did this end up so good?!? When you hire a good Director, a good Cast and try to make a good Movie, good things happen. Who'd have thunk it?!? Here's hoping the Sequel delivers!

1. Avengers- Infinity War: 10 years of build-up pays off. It should be no surprise to see this make my #1 Film of the Year. It manages to deliver in ways that didn't seem possible. Everyone shines in some way. Thanos is deeper than expected. It's amazing to see an audience in shocked silence.
My 10 List is not everyone's- no biggie.  It's mine and I own it.

1 comment:

  1. I want to see The Happytime Murders and Mandy. And I have always been a little interested in Isle of Dogs and you have it pretty high so maybe I will take a look soon. My top reviewed post goes up tomorrow. Here is to the new year!

    ReplyDelete