Friday, March 23, 2012

R.I.P. Robert Fuest

It's hard enough writing these, especially when it's a Director/Producer/Star that I absolutely adore.  It's even harder when nobody can quite agree on whether the guy is dead or not!

A fellow reviewer mentioned his death in a post and Wikipedia has been updated as such.  However, IMDB is either too lazy to report it or just doesn't believe the news!

I'm sad to report the death of Robert Fuest.  He was a talented Writer (going uncredited for Dr. Phibes rewrites apparently) and Director.
While he's most famous for the Dr. Phibes films- both classics IMO-, he did do other work.  And Soon The Darkness was a very under-rated Thriller that got a Remake a few years ago.

Oddly- and thankfully- the Phibes films haven't joined it...yet.

I say without a hint of sarcasm that The Abominable Dr. Phibes is my favorite movie of all-time.  I'll spend the rest of my life touting its awesomeness probably.  From the bizarre killings, to the lavish set design and even to that sweet Clockwork Band, this movie is pure win!

Tragically, Fuest's potentially-prolific Directing career was marred by the critical and financial response to The Devil's Rain.  Given the quality of previous works, I can't blame Robert for this movie.  Maybe that's wrong of me, but I can live with it!

You'll be missed, Robert.  The lasting image of you riding up to Heaven in your Organ-powered Elevator will be with me always.

P.S. Seriously, if you $%#! with the Dr. Phibes films, I'll kill you with a giant vice, Hollywood!

No comments:

Post a Comment