Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Top 5 Surprises and Best Films Of 2019

Since I don't watch as many current Films for the site, I needed to mix this up a bit.

As such, here's a combination of two Lists.  It's a BOGO.

Honorable Mentions: The insanity of The Umbrella Academy (Surprise), Justice League vs. The Fatal Five (Best), Godzilla- King of the Monsters (Best), the Return of Creepshow is great! (Surprise), Batman- Hush (Best), Twilight Zone delivers (Surprise), Old Thriller Episodes are fun (Surprise).


Surprise #5: The insanity of Doom Patrol: While I made it very clear in my weekly Reviews that the pacing was glacial, the moment to moment insanity was quite good.  They managed to squeeze a ton of crazy crap into around a dozen Episodes.

Just do it more succinctly for Season 2, fellas!

Best #5: The Dead Don't Die: A curious Film, that's for sure!

The Film was an interesting mix of surreal and severely-underplayed.  It is at times dryer than the Gobi Desert and then crazier than someone who think that they should walk through the Gobi Desert.  It doesn't quite deliver in every regard, which is why it sits here.

Surprise #4: Seven (1979) is boring: Andy Sidaris Films are pretty easy to figure out...
You get good-looking women.
You get good-looking men.
Lots of explosions.
Lots of shooting.

Sadly, his first *major* Film wastes half the runtime on setup and then crams all the action in at the end.  He clearly learned over the years, even if the Films weren't good.  They certainly never got this boring!


Best #4: Captain Marvel: I've had the bag of this Film with me for work every day since July, so I'd better like it!

This Origin Film plays with conventions a bit, even if it mostly gets to the same place in the end. It was clearly fun to make, especially for Sam Jackson. Kudos, Marvel- ignore the haters.

Surprise #3: Stranger Things Season Three delivers: I know many people didn't like Season 2. Alright.

For me, I was happily surprised when everything about Season 3 really clicked. It didn't disappoint.
Good surprise!

Best #3: Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: As an '80s kid (kind of), this is a big one for me.

The recent Comics are good and the Film Adaptation is quite good too. It manages to do the Fan Service, while also keeping a good Plot moving. It delivers through and through.

Surprise #2: Titans didn't change one bit: And now a bad surprise.

While I have not yet finished Season 2 (can you blame me?!?), I can say that I'm disappointed that nothing seems to have been learned here. They continue to do everything wrong like before here.

Meanwhile, we only get one Season of Swamp Thing, which was actually good.

Best #2: Spider-Man- Far From Home: It is arguably quite hard to nail it on the first MCU Sequel.

Think about it- Iron Man 2 is a mixed bag, while Thor: The Dark World is a 'meh' to even its Star. This one isn't *quite* as good as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, but that's a high bar to clear. It was fun, intense, creative and quite good. Thanks for saving the series from Sony, Tom.
Surprise #1: Batman- Hush changes quite a bit: In contrast to the previous surprise, this one is big.

So Hush is arguably the biggest Batman Miniseries in recent memory, possibly ever. Adapting it for Animation was a big deal. To that end, they...completely changed the core story. It feels weird to complain about them not being obvious, but, well, the revision makes little sense. Weird call, guys.

Best #1: Avengers- Endgame: Yes, I'm a Marvel mark. Label me if you like.

The Film was massive in scale, but also had so many personal moments that paid off for longtime fans. It has great Acting. It has great effects. It was a cathartic release for 11 Years of Films.

Could it be anything else with me?

There- I'm not always negative in these.

Now I can *actually* be negative for the next 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment