Monday, December 30, 2019

Top 10 Film Disappointments of 2019!

A quick reminder- I can only include what I reviewed.  If something worse existed that I didn't review, it's not here.

Let's begin the 'Ugh's and 'Aw, come on!'s of the year that was 2019...

10. Reign of the Supermen: So bear with me on this one...

This is the 2nd part of the story and a loose adaptation of the '90s Story Arc.  The idea that it is set in the New 52/Convergence Timeline add some new elements.  Unfortunately, the Film defaults to one thing: Darkseid.  It's an unnecessary development that just reminds me that DC (and Geoff Johns) like to reuse some Characters/Ideas too much.

9. Brightburn: This is a case of me wanting to be wrong.

I jokingly referred to the kid as Slipknot Superman.  He's angry, tiny and powerful.  I was hoping to be wrong about one-note this was.  I was right.


8. Shazam: It's not bad.  It's just not great.  I was hoping for the latter.

It only ranks at this point because I had more hopes for it.

7. Men in Black- International: The Film is alright, but nothing more.  It needed to be a bigger success and a bigger story to revive the franchise.

As it is, it exists as a decent-to-good side Film like The Bourne Legacy.

6. Replicas: Yeah, it's best to focus on John Wick.

This odd little Sci-Fi Film features Keanu Reeves, but was on nobody's radar.  A weird morality play that is part I, Robot and part 6 other things, the Movie is a curious one.  It's not good- just curious.


5. Cold Pursuit: I already saw this- just better.

This English Language Remake comes to us from the same Director.  It changes a few things- like the location and the ethnicity of the bad guys- but is otherwise so similar to be pretty pointless.  Stick to the original.

4. Star Wars- Rise of the Skywalker: It's not real bad. It's not real good. It is, however, on track to be one of the biggest Films of 2019.

With that in mind, I'll just say that it feels like a follow-up to a Film (or Films) that doesn't exist. It's...an odd bird.

3. Iron Sky- The Coming Race: After all this time, I was just hoping for more.

The Story is interesting, but quickly diverges into insanity involving Lizard People, Space Travel and the like. It also abandons the Story from the previous Film so quickly in the Opening that it feels super-jarring. Like the previous Film listed, this feels like them turning you towards a different door than the obvious one and going 'No, this way now. That way doesn't exist!'


2. Dark Phoenix: I mean, this is obvious, right?

Fox had one last chance to end this Series on a high note.  Oh right- Logan already did that.
Oh well, make another one, muck up the Plot beyond belief and completely reshoot the 3rd Act to make it feel more complete.

It's not enough.

1. Hellboy: A rare case of too much creative freedom.

Del Toro's Hellboy Films follow the Comics and use little bits from them to accent things. This time, they let Creator Mike Mignola use about 42 different Stories to compile a big, strange mess of a Plot. It seems to jump from story to story without much of a link.

It's not the Worst Film of 2019 like so many people want to say, but...it's a big disappointment for me. Like other Films here, I wanted the Critics to be wrong. They aren't.
2019 Films didn't always live up to my hopes. They can't all be Endgame.

Sorry if your disappointing Film isn't here- oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment