Saturday, December 28, 2019

*Mostly* Immediate Response: Star Wars- The Rise of Skywalker

So I saw this on Christmas Day.  I just needed some time to actually write this up and, well, to get my thoughts together.

I'll do my best to avoid SPOILERS...
The Good
- A big, action spectacle.  The money spent here shows.
- New Characters shine and *some* old ones get a last chance to shine.
- The Film feels epic, with lots of twists and turns.
- It does everything to scratch that nostalgia itch with music, characters, visuals, etc.

That said...

The Bad
- The Story hinges so much on nostalgia.  That's not good for the closing Chapter of a Series.
- The Plot (no SPOILERS) is a complete 180, suddenly focusing on something not built up at all.
That's what happens when one guy creates a story, a second guy rewrites it and the original writer comes back to ignore all of that.
- Some Characters- like Rose- lose all agency and importance.  Screw you- enough people don't like that last Film.
- So much of the Film is just based on 'we will just say stuff happened,' which is not good writing.  This is the final Chapter...of some other Series.

I'm really, really torn on this one...

It's not a bad Film if you see it in a vacuum.
It's not a good Film if you think of it as the final part of this Trilogy.

Do I sound like a 'Toxic Star Wars Fan' if I don't like it?
Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment