Monday, March 16, 2009

Great Monsters of Cinema?: Cloverfield

Not all creatures are made the same. I mean, some are made of foam, some of clay and others out of computer pixels. Aside from that, not every monster is, you know, good. Today's example is from a famous film made last year:
Cloverfield
I personally do not like this movie for lots of reasons. I will not go into all of that here. I'll save that for one of my other concept pieces- How to Kill A Concept: Cloverfield.

Here I will simply discuss the monster. Aside from it's ability to constantly disappear from the shot- despite being 30+ feet tall, it just looks...odd. See for yourself.

What the hell is that? Did Cthulu and Godzilla have some sort of freaky baby that was born premature or something? This is is also the most full-frame shot of the monster in the whole movie too.

Here's one of the other famous scenes. Look at the detail - this being a fan edit with slow mo and high-def- and see whatever the hell this is supposed to be.

I don't know what to say. It is just so bizarre and haphazard. Maybe you should not have a dozen people or so make one creature. More importantly, you should not make the 'Blair Witch' version of 'Godzilla.' Just think about how that sounds out loud for a second. Really.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment