Friday, January 5, 2018

Top 10 TV Moments of my 2017

Everyone loves Top 10 Lists about Television.  I haven't done one yet.

I also don't watch a lot of the stuff that usually ends up on these- like The Leftovers or Master of None.  As such, mine is going to be a bit different and (hopefully) a little a controversial.

Let's see what I've got...

Runner Up: All of the times that Shows stopped their Plot cold for Flashback/Side-Character Episodes (e.c. Master of None, Stranger Things, American Gods and The Handmaid's Tale).  Is that a new trend?


10. Taking Out Daddy (Iron Fist): I'm sure that this Show is on nobody's Top 10 List but mine.  Oh well.  In this big moment, the Businessman Son has been in the control of his not-really-dead Dad for around a Decade.  He finally snaps after one too many comment and stabs him to death!

Being a Comic Book Show with Magic on it, the killing doesn't take.  Even so, damn!

9. The Tick isn't a fan of ultra-violence (The Tick): The new version of the Show definitely delivers. Tick and Arthur are fighting some henchman alongside another Superhero- who happens to be in the Punisher mold. He keeps trying to kill the bad guys, leading to our Hero hilariously stopping him on multiple occasions. Fun stuff.

8. Watching the Film Reel (The Man in the High Castle): While I never got too far into this Show, one moment still stood out to me.  When our Heroine first watches the Reel showing how America won in WWII (changed from being a Book from, well, the Book), she breaks down crying.

Hell, if I saw a Film Reel now showing how Hillary actually won, I might too.  Trump Joke Quota reached.

7. All of Jessica Jones (The Defenders): This one may be a bit of a cheat, but hear me out. Every moment that I really, really liked from this Netflix Show tended to involve her. I liked her 'Am I the only one that doesn't know Karate?' line. I liked her entering a Scene by shoving an SUV through a wall. I liked everything about her. Bring on Season 2 already!


6. Rick vs The President (Rick & Morty): There were a lot of great moments this Season.  I was torn between this and the Citadel Episode as a whole.  For me though, this fight- starting out with one-upmanship and ending in an actual brawl- is a great micro chasm for all of the ingenuity behind the Show.  From Rick's unexplained death touch to the hidden twins to invisible commandos, it was all fun.

5. The Bomb Episode (Twin Peaks): A bit of cop-out, perhaps.  There are lots of micro-moments sprinkled throughout the Season that I loved.  It just wasn't generally consistent enough for me to pick one out.  So let's go with the 40-minute acid trip that just never let up.


4. Eleven vs The Portal (Stranger Things): I suppose I should remember to review this Season, huh?  While people are mostly in love with it (save for the Eleven Episode), I want to highlight the bit that stood out to me.  They used the Demodogs to make the threat more minor, but vast.  So, in contrast, seeing the giant creature behind the Portal was awe-inspiring.  When will that show up, if ever?

3. The Interrogation Room (American Gods): This Season was mostly style over substance, but what a show it was!  I almost went with Gillian Anderson appearing as 'Lucy' or 'Bowie,' but thought that this bit encapsulated the Show better.  Media makes big, grand promises- complete with visual aids-, while Mr. Nobody shows up to be creepy as hell.  More Crispin Glover in Season 2, am I right?

2. The First Feast (Channel Zero- The No-End House): Due to the slow burn nature of this Show, it is less about moments.  In spite of that, the first time that you see how The Father 'eats,' it is quite freaky and memorable.  Who thinks of something like that?

1. Trapped in the Car (The Handmaid's Tale): Could it be anything else from this Season?  In spite of my issue with her being a Scientologist, I really loved Elisabeth Moss in this Show.  She had so many great moments of quiet strength and sadness.  To me, however, the biggest moment is when her Mistress shows her the Daughter she hasn't seen in so long (time is a bit vague here), but won't let her exit the car.  It is powerful and heart-wrenching, even to someone who will never be a Mother.  Damn!


So that was my List.  I'm sure that I didn't hit upon everyone's favorite moments, but...who cares?

No comments:

Post a Comment