Thursday, January 11, 2018

Oscar Flix?: The Disaster Artist

In a Year with the story of the Pentagon Papers, here's the story of how they made The Room (sort of)...
In California, a strange young/old man named Tommy Wiseau is trying to be an Actor.
He meets Greg Sestero, who also wants to be an Actor.  He likes Tommy...even if he's a bit confused by his, well, everything.
The pair realize that they share a love of Hollywood and move to L.A. to get jobs.  They play fast and loose with time here, as Bait came out in 2001 and Thirteen Ghosts in 2001.  Our last time stamp was 1998...

Oh and they- like Full Moon does now- ignore the fact that Retro Puppet Master exists.
Greg inspires Tommy to make a Film and this leads to all of the insanity behind setting up the Film (within this Film).

Tommy buys Camera Equipment instead of leasing, shoots with both Digital and 35mm (at the same time) and pointlessly-builds Sets he doesn't need- just to name a few.
The Shooting- and the insanity- begins!
Will a divide between Greg and Tommy ruin things? Will the Film still suck?

To find out, watch this now Golden Globe-winning Film.
It's almost a really-good Film.  To note, I'm not exactly an expert on James Franco-Directed Films as this is my first.  Right off the bat, I don't *love* The Room, but I don't hate it as a 'bad movie to laugh at' either.  For me, I just enjoy different stuff like Plan 9 or Birdemic.  I'm kind of between the 'I've seen The Room 15x' and the 'What the hell is this Movie they're talking about?!?' demographics to boot.  So with that in mind, the Film is good...but uneven.  When it is about how strange and inept Tommy Wiseau is, I liked it.  When it is about how he's just a sad soul, I care less.  I never quite grew as attached to the whole Tommy and Greg dynamic as the Film wanted either.  The familial casting thing is a bit of a distraction, even if both of them are good.  I was actually more interested in all of the Supporting Players, which leads me to my bigger issue.  Why isn't this more about the actual making of the Film?  When it does get to it, it has a tendency to randomly cut away to a Greg Scene somewhere else or him with the girlfriend (played by Dave Franco's real wife).  Show me more of people trying to act under his direction.  This one was simply made too soon, since most of Wiseau's secrets are still just that.  There's not enough meat and not enough desire to bite.  They made this one for Tommy, as opposed to making it about the event and damn him if he's bothered by it.  It's too soon and too nice overall.  He's just a weirdo, the Film says, but a sincere, loveable one.  The Disaster Artist isn't ultimately a bad Film though.  After all, Tommy didn't Direct it.  Comparison shot time...
A somewhat-uneven mix of 'look how bad this is" and "look how great these people are."  The two don't really mesh, but the separate elements work on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment