Thursday, January 25, 2018

Quick Reviews: Jackboots on Whitehall

A two-for-one special on Oscar Films- sweet.  This is an oddball regardless though, so enjoy...
In this Alternate History tale, the retreat from Dunkirk (Oscar Connection #1) goes awry and the Nazis begin to take over Britain and the UK.
The Nazis are on the move, being so evil that they try to blow up a baby!  Can our giant-handed hero (so, not Trump then) save the day?
An American Soldier survives an explosion and arrives to help save the day.  I do like the joke that he keeps calling the Nazis 'Communists,' especially considering how often that mix-up happens IN REAL LIFE and with zero irony.
The Nazis march on London- even if the Map is all wrong- transform it into their own image.  Why London?
They want Winston Churchill (Oscar Connection #2)!  They sure owe money to 'Land of Confusion.'

Fun Fact: Timothy Spall voices him here and also plays him in The King's Speech.  Love it.
Can our Heroes win the day?  Can they kill some damn Nazis?  How will Scotland play into it?

To find out, watch the Film.
This is freaking weird!  It is an Alternate History tale about WWII...done with Puppets.  To be honest, I've been aware of this Film for Years.  Back when I did Dante's Inferno- made with finger puppets-, I was told about this one.  I knew that it was going to be weird.  I mean, obviously, right?  You don't have to see the Film or this Review to know that- just let me explain what the Film is.  Getting past that, the Story is goofy as hell.  It features super-silly Nazis, Scottish savages, over-the-top caricatures and other nonsense.  On the plus side, there's almost no respite for the silliness.  On the negative side, I kind of got a little numb to it.  It's not for lack of trying- the Film just can only go so far.  There are some legitimately-clever bits and I can certainly appreciate the man hours behind producing this one.  For me, it was just a little too long and consistently-goofy.  Who's the Straight Man here?  You may like it more than me- fine.  On the plus side, this happens...
It's a bit too silly to really last 90 minutes, if I'm honest.  If you're into all of this, it is a riot.

No comments:

Post a Comment