Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Quick Review: John Wick 3- Parabellum

After I missed in Theaters, HBO has provided me a chance to catch up.  It's going to be violent!
In the aftermath of the events of the last Film, Wick is targeted by the Guild that once employed him.

Genuine question- how did we go from Early Morning and dry in New York to Night and rainy in less than an hour?
**** 
With $14 million on his head, he runs into many, many dangers.

Pro-Tip: don't hide in a Weapon Shop and/or follow people into it.
He knows that he can't survive long in the City and has to go above the heads of those that betrayed him.

His only solution- return to his past World for help.
This leads him to a woman (played by Halle Berry) and her dogs.  Can they help me reach The Man Above The Table?
His enemies only increase in numbers as a man known as Zero is hired to kill him.

I know he's not playing the same Character from Crying Freeman, but in my head canon he totally is!  That or The Chairman- take your pick.
What does apparently the worst week of John Wick's life hold for him at the end?

To find out, stream the Film.
A good, but flawed Film.  At its heart, John Wick 3 is a good, solid Action Film.  It is shot well and looks vibrant.  It certainly isn't for everyone, of course, given that he kills about 40 people (in self-defense, mind you) in the first half hour alone.  That gets to the Film's biggest issues- it's Pacing.  It starts out strong, building up to a few nice Fight Scenes.  After that, it comes to a complete halt to indulge in more Backstory.  I honestly don't care that much about who is part of The Table, who is an Arbitrator and/or who is Above The Table.  I want some Plot, but...not this one.  True Story- I was watching this on Sunday and had to pause.  I was genuinely-shocked to find out that I'd only been watching for an Hour.  I was convinced that the Film was nearly over, but nope.  The good parts mostly outweigh the bad here, but I still feel like they could have cut alot.  Just because you *can* write something this long and ponderous, hoping that the amazing Action Scenes will keep people invested doesn't mean that you *should.*  I guess them adding the 'Parabellum' Subtitle should have been the first sign, no?  If you liked John Wick 2, it's more of that.  If you, like me, thought that the Story was too drawn out and uninteresting, you're going to feel the same about this one.  Obviously, of course, I can't be too mad at a Film with Scenes like this in it...
A big, bloated Film that has some good content inside.  The Action is strong, but they really didn't need to double-down on the mythos.

No comments:

Post a Comment