Monday, February 17, 2020

Quick Review: Dolemite is my Name

A Biopic about Rudy Ray Moore was apparently a big project for Eddie Murphy.  Was it worth the time and effort?
 In Los Angeles, a 40-plus year-old Moore was trying to break out.  He had tried Music, Dance and now he was on Comedy.
Taking inspiration from an unlikely source, he creates a new persona- Dolemite!

Fun Fact: Dolomite is a real Element.  Did Moore take the name from that?  Probably not.
Not one to rest on his laurels, Moore keeps pushing, turning his act into a series of successful Albums before getting a new goal- Film.
He goes about getting help from a variety of unique sources, including a provocative Playwright, an auteur Actor (to Direct) and all of his friends.
Can they make their dreams come true?  Can they succeed and break into an industry?
I mean, it is a Biopic, so there can't be any real surprises if you know the history.

Regardless, check out this surreal journey through the mind of an impassioned (and brilliant?) mad man.
A surprisingly-interesting Film.  My experience with Rudy Ray Moore and his Films is...interesting.  I've only *personally* seen The Human Tornado, since I got it as a gift.  I got my friend to watch his last Film- Shaolin Dolemite- and it's a weird mess, apparently.  So, bear that in mind, when I talk about how interesting I found the actual story here.  Embellished or not, the Film has a compelling one to tell.  The Story is framed as one where Moore is always told what he can't do and he makes sure that he can!  He won't let anything stop him- whether it is the fact that he's overweight or can't do kung-fu- and that is sort of endearing.  That doesn't make his Films good, of course, but it does make him a sort of inspiration.  He overcomes alot here to do well, so good for him.  Murphy truly seems to become Moore, so I can see why all the hype was surrounding his performance.  I'm not going to say whether or not he should have gotten an Oscar nod, but he was good.  The Film is a celebration of people that achieve their goals- whether they are good ones or not.  I'm sure if Mr. Moore was alive to see it, he'd be happy...
A fun, inspirational Film about a man who made Films.  You don't have to like the Films- just admire the man's drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment