Sunday, March 17, 2019

Rating the Leprechaun Films (So Far)

Before we see the new Film- which seems to be an actual Sequel-, let's look back at the others.

I've covered most of these in more depth in the past, so this is more about a quick summary and Ranking them in order of quality and/or enjoyment.

This is my Ranking.  You've just got to live with it!

7. Leprechaun Back 2 Tha Hood: It would be easy to say that the Reboot was the worst, but this is just objectively-bad.  They're following up that odd Sequel with...another one just like it.  It has less charm and, of course, less originality.  Warwick Davis can only do so much.
6. Leprechaun- Origins: When you take away Warwick, it doesn't get much better.  This Reboot is a Horror Film that tries hard and fails.  Recasting is one thing- doing nothing with the new Casting is another.  This Plot is also pretty lackluster and the Leprechaun is just a mute monster that we barely see.

5. Leprechaun in Tha Hood: Ice T steals a magic flute to be good at Rap.  I could stop there, couldn't I?  Should I?  Mmm...yes.

4. Leprechaun 3: A decent-ish Film that doesn't do enough with the Premise.  The titular killer in Las Vegas- make the most of it.  Even now, I struggle to remember much of the Film.  That puts it higher than the Films I remember for being bad, but below those that I at least remember *something* good about.
3. Leprechaun 2: Decent, but kind of forgettable for the most part.  This one has some good fun, some silly Effects and some good Casting.  It also avoids just being a rehash of the Original, which is nice to see.  It's just, you know, a Leprechaun Sequel though.

2. Leprechaun 4- In Space: My personal favorite- no lie.  It's a bizarre mix of Leprechaun and Starship Troopers- something that I didn't know I needed.  It's stupid.  It's bad.  I don't care- it's great!

1. Leprechaun: Fair is fair.  The original has many problems- most notably it's take on the mentally-handicapped- but is still fun.  It's a great show of Practical Effects and feels unique for its time.  Granted- the Director copied himself on this later.  Even so, this silly little Film is still the best when it comes down to it.
Here's hoping the new one doesn't suck!

No comments:

Post a Comment