Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Netflix and Thrill: Marvel's Luke Cage (Part 2)

Somehow I never got around to writing about this section, even though I saw it.  Oops.

Before I talk about Season 2, I suppose I have to finish this...
After serving as a strong, steady defender of his Town (once he feels like he has to), Luke faces a harsh reality- he can be wounded.
This necessitates a retreat and a look back at his own past, revealing the truth about the new villain.
While he's away, his nemesis' sister has stepped up to take over his empire.  She doesn't play around!
Can Luke find the strength to stop Diamondback when he has powers just like him?

To find out, stream the Show.
A solid, if different finish.  The first half of Luke Cage is about a powered-man proving to himself that he can be a hero.  The second half of Luke Cage is still the same- it just features a guy in a super-power suit.  There are some other differences, to be fair.  The second half really helps fill in the backstory for Cage.  Some people did not like the reveal for Diamondback and his importance to Luke.  I get it- I don't agree, but I get it.  Does it affect the drama to bring in a new villain halfway through?  Sure.  Does it make the second half of the Season weaker?  Maybe, it still worked for me.  I don't think that the Show falters in the 'home stretch.'  I liked it.  It also helps to properly set the stage for what would come in The Defenders and the second Season of his Show.  If you liked the first half, stick with it.  If you thought it started out too slow, watch the second half and give it a try.  As for me, I'll continue to be amused by the persistence of stuff like outdated fan-art.  For example...
It's easy to say that there's a quality drop-off without the original Villain.  If you view it with no expectations, however, it holds strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment