Sunday, May 17, 2020

Forgotten TV: Ray Bradbury Theater- 'Exorcism'

I did another experiment in random picks, on account of the fact that I have so many of these Anthology Shows 'in stock' and can't always decide what to pick.

The dice lead us to this Episode of a mostly-forgotten Show called The Ray Bradbury Theater.  I haven't done an Episode since October of 2018, so I guess I was overdue.
This one is called Exorcism...

A local woman learns that her strange neighbor is getting books on Spiritualism and what looks like the Occult.  What is she up to?
She suspects that the woman is the cause of all her misery.  How?

She's obviously a Witch!

This woman has a litany of complaints and issues that all apparently 'go back to' the so-called Witch, the biggest of which is the fact that only she can get elected to the head of the Local Women's Club.
Her husband is the Mailman, who keeps peeping at the mail to share the gossip.

He thinks that she's crazy, especially when she makes a bizarre drink to 'protect herself' after getting a zit the next morning.  Damn Witch!
She goes to the Meeting and makes a strong pitch for why SHE should be in charge of the group.

Well, it might have been stronger if she wasn't slurring her words and about to pass out, thanks to what she drank right before!
In a stupor, she falls out the window.  The 'Witch' says that she would do anything if she came back to life, even let her be in charge of the group.

Naturally, she pops back up.

That's it?  Alright then...
That was it then?  Seriously, this Episode isn't bad, but it surely is anticlimactic.  I feel bad picking on Ray Bradbury for so many reasons, but this story is just 'meh.'  I wish I could say that there was a big, interesting twist or reveal.  I wish I could say that I really cared about these characters.  Sadly, I can't.  It's not terrible, mind you, but the bar is definitely set higher when the Bradbury name is attached.  The Acting is good, if over the top throughout.  Sally Kellerman as the maybe-Witch is the best part of this.  The other Actress does a good job playing an over-the-top WASP Character, but, she's still, you know, an over-the-top WASP Character.  I just didn't care for her.  There are definitely better Episodes out there and I still have *checks* Math, 58 more to potentially cover.  I should just calm down and move on.  Right, Sally?
A curious Episode for all of the wrong reasons.  Oh well- nobody nails every one.

No comments:

Post a Comment