Thursday, May 18, 2023

Tubi Thursday: Malignant (2021)

 WB/Discovery's loss is your gain- at least for the next week or so.

I decided to take a break from Chinese Monster Movies for a recent release lent to Tubi.  

I have bad news.  It's...

The Film opens with some freaky stuff at a Hospital in 1993 involving Gabriel.  They say that they have to 'remove the Cancer.'

In the Present, a pregnant Nurse is hit against the wall by her abusive boyfriend, and he's killed that same night.
She starts to see herself in strange places, seeing visions of a coat-wearing man killing and abducting people.

What's going on?!?
Well, she's seeing real attacks, so it is not in her head.

And, to save you time, this is not Bill Fagerbakke (aka Patrick Star).
I checked.
Things don't get cleared up as our Heroine's grasp on reality seems to be getting even more tenuous.

How does this connect to her childhood and why can't she remember it?
When in doubt, use the power of Google.

Just don't use it to SPOIL the Film, since I'm not going to here.

To see the Film, stream it really soon (or go to Max).
This one is pretty damn weird.  Admittedly, I kind of got the 'Second Viewing Experience' on the first one, since I got this one SPOILED for me long ago in a YouTube Video.  It was my choice, so be it.

That said, I'm still not going to SPOIL it for you here.  I really want to, but I won't.

The Film has all of the best and worst aspects of James Wan's work here.  If you can't stand his style, you probably won't like this one.  That said, he does crib quite a bit from Argento- the Camera Angles and Tracking-, Bava- the lighting-, Cronenberg- the visceral nature of the body stuff- and Carpenter- the Music.

So, for me, it is the best James Wan experience since it was 'inspired' by so many good Directors.  I never hated Wan's stuff, to be clear, but I always found the praise for him to be pretty grandiose.  He never sucked or anything.

Non-SPOILER bit- the Film is very violent, freaky and pretty fun.  When you find out the true Story, you'll either love it or hate it.  I lean more towards the former, at least right now.

Now how can I get you to stick around to read my less popular Film Reviews?  Oh yeah...

A freaky Film that really 'goes there.'  Yes, I have many, MANY questions, but I enjoyed the ride all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment