Thursday, May 13, 2021

Mondo Trivia: Mothra (1961)

 A while back, I did a bit of a deep dive/compare-contrast between both versions of the rarest Godzilla Film out there (Godzilla Returns/Godzilla 1985).

Well, Mothra has an alternate Japanese Cut as well.

The difference- it is only 10 minutes longer (and obviously in Japanese).

So with the knowledge that the cuts are only minor cuts, you might be surprised to see *what* they cut out for the US Release.

To set the Scene, Mothra is attacking a New York City stand-in (Newkirk City) to retrieve the tiny twins and the residents are naturally concerned...

This is where the majority of the noticeable cutting begins as the US Cut is missing some big chunks here.

Specifically, we don't see a pair of Priests say that we need to pray to God for help against Mothra.
Yep.

Were you expecting something else?
I know I sure was!

Later on, the Heroes arrive and get briefed on things.

They too reach a similar conclusion...
This is followed by some serious praying, not to mention our Comedic Lead doing the Sign of the Cross.
...so why did they cut this?

I guess they must have figured that Religion had no place in a Film like Mothra.  
I can't find any evidence as to their motives, mind you, so I can only infer from what I see.

If anyone has the reason, I'm all ears.

Either way, this is...not what I expected to see!


No comments:

Post a Comment