Sunday, November 20, 2022

Shudder Sunday: Blood Vessel (2020)

 A choice had to be made- which Blood Film to do (first)?

Would it be Blood Quantum (as in the smallest amount of blood)?
Would it be Blood Vessel (the one with 2 meanings)?

I went with the pun and the promise of a Creature Feature.
Did I pick correctly?  Let's see...

In 1945, a Lifeboat full of random Survivors- conveniently they are all from different Countries...but speak English fluently- is adrift at Sea.

They find a Nazi Ship to seek shelter on.
As they explore the Ship, they find some dead bodies and what looks like a clear attempt to make it so that nobody can leave?

What is going on?
They eventually find a missing, but seemingly-somewhat-feral girl.

If she's so innocent, why does the guy they find on board try to shoot her?!?
I'm trying really hard not to SPOIL anything on this one.

As such, I'll just end with a tease about what secrets lie deeper in the Ship.
I really want to say more...but I won't.  

To find out, stream the Film now.
An enjoyable Film for sure.  The Film doesn't exactly break the mold.  It gives you an historical version of a fairly-common Film Plot.

For instance, I've seen Ghost Ship and Death Ship, not to mention BelowTriangle.  In fact, it arguably gives you a slightly-tweaked version of a tale that still- to my knowledge- has yet to be adapted.  If you know the Film, I think you know what I mean.

The Film gives you some pretty basic Characters, but does give many of them some added depth.  One of them is chopped up before they even get on the Ship, so he obviously doesn't.  It's almost a shame that some of them get their stories ended when they do.

Without SPOILing what it is, the secret of the ship is great.  You can probably guess it- and Shudder's art will reveal it- but the execution is top notch.  Some don't look the design of the creatures, but I dug it.  It's a version of them that they we get far less than the more romantic (and cheaper) take.  Big plus.

Ultimately, the Film delivers what you'd hope for, with some twists along the way.  While its nothing major and unique, Vessel is a good time.  Now is it red out or is it just me?

If you're in the mood for a Thriller that is more of what you like, check it out.  It doesn't have too many unique aspects, but it is fun all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment