Tuesday, July 14, 2020

Lost in Translation?: The Ring (1999)

As I look at the Remakes, I shouldn't forget about the original.

With that in mind, here's a look at the UK DVD Art for the Film...
Eye get it!

Ugh.  Even I'm ashamed by that one!
Not so ashamed that I'll delete it, of course.

This design is...odd.

As noted, the original Japanese Film is 96% Thriller/Mystery Film.

This makes it look like more pure Horror and, with the eye thing, more like, well, The Grudge.

Right?!?

It does *also* remind me of an amusing invert of this- the Japanese *Laserdisc* Art for Night of the Living Dead...
That one also featured an out-of-context scary face that really didn't reflect the Film.

In that one's case, it is like a 3 second shot when they explore the House.  That's it!

At least Ring's case is a bigger moment in the Film- context or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment