Wednesday, June 10, 2020

My New Thing: The 'Not for Retail Sale' Collection

I didn't go looking for this, but it has fallen into my lap.

At one Thrift Store, I found a normal-looking DVD in a thing, paper sleeve.  
Seems normal enough.
...except that it was apparently a Promo DVD.

The idea was that Stores and other Vendors would get them and decide to order copies.
How a bunch of these- I only bought one, but there must have been 6 or 7- ended up where I found them is anyone's guess.
But wait- there's more!

At the same Store (just earlier), I found a normal enough-looking VHS for the '80s Classic Road House.

Why would I buy it?
...this is why.

This was apparently sent to Video Stores (RIP) back in 1989 to promote the sale/rental of the Film.

It has a little bit at the beginning suggesting ideas for 'Road House Parties' that Stores could run to promote the new Release.

I don't see this on Amazon, so it could be worth anywhere between $2 and $2,000.  
My newest entry comes from a different Store- lest you think said unnamed Thrift Store is a 'gold mine.'

It is a Screening Cassette for Poltergeist: The Legacy, a barely-remembered TV Show on Showtime.
This worked basically like the previous ones mentioned.  It is notable for being a VHS release, despite it being from 1997.

Yes, they were still making them into around 2004, but still.  This is how you want to promote sales of the Show?
As a bonus, I bought Poltergeist: The Legacy's 1st Season- on DVD- from a different Store on the same day.

I guess that Tape worked!

Do you have any of these?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment