Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Fiction vs. Fiction Double Feature: For Your Eyes Only and Moontrap

Two Movies that I own in Comic Book form.
Two adaptations that don't change all that much.

It would be a stretch to cover either separately and I don't want to forget about these until November.

As such, let's cover the brief differences with both here.

Let's start with Bond...

***VS***
What's the Same?

It's the same Script, pretty much.  It all plays out as intended in both Versions.

I own it in this format, but my copy is not nearly this pristine.  Kids owned it, alright!

What's Different?

M is actually in this Comic.  Since the Script had him in it, they included the Character (whose Actor was really sick and couldn't shoot any Scenes) in here.

The other big thing is a little one, but a constant one.  I'll explain.
The Film doesn't have banter from the many Henchman and glorified Extras that make up the Cast.

This is likely since they were actually Foreign and thus didn't speak English.
The Comic has them all making quips/comments constantly.


In addition, the fake Margaret Thatcher is mentioned, but not shown. 
I want to think that Howard Chaykin refused to draw her, but it's likely just a likeness issues.

This might be an edit, but it looks semi-legit.

For the second feature, we jump ahead to 1989 and...



***VS***
What's the Same?

The Story- again- is based on the Script and it's a tight adaptation.

What's Different?

The Comic version is a pretty tight one at right around 25 pages.  As such, some little things get cut.

Lots of banter between Koenig and Campbell is cut out.  If you look at the first page posted above, you miss all of the Character Setup between them and jump right into the Action.

On top of that, a pair of Scenes are missing. 
A short bit with Koenig and his Son is cut and a bit where Koenig meets up with Campbell at a Strip Club (where he's getting drunk) is also cut.

In case you couldn't tell this was from the '80s.

Amusingly, this is not just to cut out the pointless T&A.
The Comic actually adds some to the romantic bit with Koenig and Mera.

In the Film, any nudity is pretty much just implied.  In this Comic, we see her naked- albeit from behind.

Oh and the Comic has NO time for Mera's Backstory about being an Ancient Astronaut!  Kind of key.
She's just discovered and ends up with Koenig as they save the day.


So, the obvious question for both...

Which is Better?
The Film (For Your Eyes Only)
The Film (Moontrap)

Neither comic is bad- at all.  Chaykin's art- while rushed by his own admission- is good in the Bond Comic.
Moontrap's Comic is just too truncated and lacks the pathos established in the Film.

With all that said, I've own the Bond Comic- in Book form- since I was a kid (and it shows).  I spent 99 cents on Moontrap and it got me to watch the Film (and likely the Sequel), so I'm still content.


No comments:

Post a Comment