Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Shudder Day: When Evil Lurks (2023)

 A Film from last Year that is famously dark and bleak.

Let's take some anti-depressants and check it out...

Out in rural Argentina somewhere, a body is found by 2 Brothers.

This leads them to a nearby House that has a Rotten aka a man possessed by a Demon that is trying to come to life with them as a vessel.
The nearby resident wants to kill it, but he is told not to.

If you shoot them, the infection will spread.

There are many, many rules (okay, seven).
The Brothers leave town and the Neighbor takes things into his own hands.

Will it end well?
The older Brother goes to pick up his kids from his ex-Wife.

The issue is a spread of infection, so...you were warned.
Can the duo keep their family alive?
Can they stop the spread of evil?

Just don't go in expecting great things to happen to nice people, folks.  
NO SPOILERS.
A well-made Film- I just don't know if I'll ever work up the nerve or desire to watch it ever again.

For starters, the Film looks great.  It feels authentic.  It looks gritty.  The world looks lived in.

The idea is not completely unique- hell, the Omen TV Pilot had it possessing people- but it is definitely one that was done in a different way.  The Film doesn't do a big effect for said possessions.

I don't know if it is due to a Budget or by choice, but I really like it.

As mentioned, the Film is bleak as hell.  If you go into it expecting certain things to happen because they happen that way in American Films, you're going to be wrong all of the time.

It is dark, unsettling and cruel.
For me, that can work if things ultimately go a certain direction.  What is light without dark?

I won't SPOIL it, but...I didn't get exactly what I was hoping for.  For better or worse, the Film does what it wants to and you just have to go along with it.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to find an Auto Repair Shop that won't ask any questions.

In hindsight, I should have expected the bleak, almost nihilistic tone.  After all, the Lead guy does look like Logan from, well, Logan!

No comments:

Post a Comment