Wednesday, March 8, 2023

2022 Catch-Up: Nope (2022)

After far too long, let's look at Jordan Peele's latest Film.
See how far he's come from MadTV to get to making...

In rural California, a family has to come together after the death of their patriarch.

What caused the death though?
The Sister reluctantly helps out, but then they make a very big discovery.

What do they find?
They need help and find some very insistent people to do just that.

Is this motley crew up to the task?
Nearby, a former Child Star makes some plans of his own.

Why does nobody tell him that this is a bad idea?
Tired of my vague description?  Need to know what actually happens?

Then watch the Movie already.

It's Streaming, so get to it!
It's a really good Movie.  After Get Out, that probably didn't seem necessary.

In the time since, however, people have had a far more mixed view of Mr. Peele and his work, whether it was Us (which is also great), stuff he helped Produce- like Candyman- or his Twilight Zone adaptation.

It's still really good.  Personally, I've been on board with all of it (although I haven't seen Season 2 of his TZ).

Nope is a Film that seems a bit disjointed...until suddenly it isn't.  The seemingly random B-Plot involving Gordie, as well as little bits like how the Audition goes poorly (see below) all matter.  I actually watched this last week and wanted to let my opinion simmer/stew for a bit a bit.

The more I thought about it, the big moments, the little moments and everything in between, the more I really liked it.

I want to say more, but I also don't want to SPOIL anything for you.  Just watch it.
I'll close with a rare case of what *looks* like a Behind the Scenes Shot...but is actually in the Movie.  Psych!

A common description is that it is 'Jaws Meets Close Encounters.'  Say- I just bought a copy of that last Film recently.  Hmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment