Thursday, December 15, 2022

Tubi Thursday: Vikings vs. Krampus (2020)

 Back home, I can watch another Horror Film on Tubi.  Lucky me.

Since Christmas is nigh, how about something that's related to it...but also not at all?

This is...

In the Cold Open, a strange being- I guess it is Krampus- confronts a kid in the Woods.

He teases being nice to the kid and then kills him...off-camera.
The Film follows that up with a boatload of Exposition about the time, place and Story.
Classic Tell, Don't Show and it's as exciting as ever.

The Plot- such as it is- involves a group of Vikings- like 5 of them- who are going to kill a King (who has no Army, since this Film has no Budget).

The King flees to save himself, but is caught in the Woods.
A very-lengthy and very-underwhelming series of swordfights ensues as all but King and Queen are killed.  Their Daughter- who's way too blonde for a mixed-race girl in 812 AD- is taken by the Vikings as well.

The duo is wounded but survive when some Witches (aka 2 Ladies in a Hut) revive them.

They offer the King a deal- summon Krampus the Yule Devil (which is oddly NOT the Title) and he'll slay their enemies.  The price will be paid in 10 years.
Of course, it is not that simple.  There's also the matter of that opening Scene.  I think even the Back Row can figure out this twist.

To find out how the Film ends, stream it now. 
I'll just enjoy a cooler Krampus myself.
A cheap little Film that really tries to do too much.

Look- I get it.  I was someone who wanted to make a Film at one point.  Okay, I was *friends* with someone who wanted to make a Film, but the point is the same.  I applaud the effort.

The problem is that they tried to make a Film that needs to be done with way more resources, people and backing.  There's no Castle- just random exteriors that might be in an old Castle.  There's no Army.  The Vikings 'attack the Castle,' but they can't actually show it, since, again, no Castle.

The Acting is alright but can't elevate things.  It's a Horror Film with no real Horror.  It's an Action Film with terrible action- picture shaky cam with the camera pointed just overhead to hide the action.  It's a Period Film with no Period details to show off.

I'm happy for them that they got to make a Movie.  I'm just not happy that I, unfortunately, had to fall half-asleep watching it.

Just think- I could have skipped it entirely if it was under the original Title...

A bad Film is a bad Film, no matter the effort.  At least the King's glorious beard is something to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment