Saturday, September 9, 2017

Twin Piqued: Part 15

I won't let the Weather keep me from visiting my favorite crazy-ass Town...
Important Moments
- Out of the blue, Nadine gives Big Ed permission to hook up with Norma.  They agree to get married...which they already did TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO (and 16 Episodes ago).  What's up, Mr. Lynch?
- BOB Cooper goes to the Gas Station and talks to a giant Teapot, which is now the representation of David Bowie's Character.  Only on this Show, folks.
- BOB takes Richard Horne with him to do something.
- Drug Addict Asshole Boyfriend is freaking out with Gersten Hayward.  After a Warren Frost Cameo, he fires a shot.
- Audrey continues to be stuck at home.  This is going to be The Cabinet of Caligari isn't it?
- 1/4 of The Hateful Eight kills a random Supporting Character No Country-style.  Alright.
- The guy with the super-strength glove helps James in a Bar Fight.
- Log Lady gives one last message and dies.  Aww.
- After seeing a fateful bit of Sunset Boulevard, Dougie Cooper is inspired to...stab a light switch.
Theme(s)
With this hodge-podge of Plot, I'm going to have to be pretty vague here.  How about...The End.

- One Character meets his bloody end.
- Did we see the end of Dougie Cooper?
- Did we 'hear' the end of another Character?
- A lady freaks out at 'the end' (shut up- you write this at 1 am!)
Weird Moment(s)
This has slightly-less crazy than last time.  With a random, silly death, a pair of super punches and sudden Big Ed Plot, this one had some still!

I still have to go with the bit with BOB Cooper meeting Tea Pot Bowie, awkward voice dubbing guy (a shame that Bowie couldn't record some lines for this!) and the Bray Wyatt-style Editing.

Run.
Another crazy Episode where a lot happens and nothing happens.  Am I the only one that remembers how Nadine gave Big Ed permission to be with Norma?  Did that fill-in book somehow undo that major Plot Point just to abruptly take up 10 minutes of Screen Time as the Show is more than half over?  I love Big Ed and Nadine, but what the hell was this?!?  It kind of reminds me of the 'Norma's Mean Mother Comes to Town' Sub-Plot from Season 2.  Getting past that, the stuff with BOB Cooper was more of the usual insanity.  It is a real damn shame that Bowie could not film/record something for this Show- not that I hold it against the guy.  Speaking of people that are no longer with us, Log Lady's final Scene was great, even if it was sudden.  She still appeared way more than I expected, so good for her.  All of the Sub-Plot stuff seems to be going somewhere- save for Audrey's bit-, so that is sort of a plus.  I don't pretend to understand what Lynch is 'up to' here, but I still hope that it ends with something better than 'the 2 Coopers meet and merge back together.'  Will this strange journey be worth it?  I sure hope so!  What do you think, Obvious Dummy?
Next time, some Plot and closure- right?  At this point, it could be anything really.  See you then...

1 comment:

  1. I'm guessing by the 'fill-in' book you mean the 'Secret History of Twin Peaks'? Nope, that doesn't technically undo anything from the old show, but neither does it fill the gaps between the old series and the new. I just listened to the audiobook version (full cast, quite a lovely listen), and it's more of a book designed to flesh out the background history of the town and some of the characters (Hawk's chapter in particular is wonderful). From what I understand, it was a project Mark Frost wanted to do back during the original series.

    I'm waiting on the 'Final Dossier' next month, as I'll be curious if it has any bearing on the new series.

    That said, it's been a blast reading these recaps. Haven't said it, but while I may not agree with all you say (I seem to have gotten a lot more out of the series than you did), I love reading analyses like these, and it's been fun to read from week-to-week!

    ReplyDelete