Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Forgotten Sequels?: Todd McFarlane's Spawn 2

 How have I not heard of this one?  Spawn was big in the '90s and got a Feature Film.

It... exists.  So why does nobody remember the Sequel?

*
*
*

Oh right- this is just the confusing way that HBO released each Season of Spawn's Animated Series on DVD in 1999.  

And yes, I am watching at disc that is literally older than some people I work with.

How old do I feel now?

Anyhow, I read quite a bit of Spawn in the '90s and didn't happen to find Spawn 1 (I guess that's the name) where I found 2 and 3.

Can I keep up when I've missed the first 6 Episodes?  Let's find out!

Here's what you need to know if you know NOTHING about Spawn...

Al Simmons was killed and betrayed at Jason Wynn's behest.
He was twisted by a Demon named Malebogia and returned to Earth as a Hellspawn (or Spawn).
This is a blessing and a curse, as he now has powers...but is also stuck as a burnt up monster.
His Wife is married to his friend Terry, since he was dead for 5 years.

All caught up?  So now Wynn is trying to find the creature known as Spawn, not knowing who or what he is.
He sends a man named Chapel to clean up after his previous crimes, as bullet casings can be tied to his guns.

The guy shoots up the place but is soon confronted by Spawn- who shares a past with him.

It goes...poorly for Chapel.
Terry, meanwhile, goes from 'Desk Jockey' to Whistleblower...or he plans to be, at least.

He uncovers some bad intel on Wynn's guns (and missiles!) and is subsequently framed for treason.
This leads to an awkward part where Spawn has to save him, even though he 'stole his wife from him.'

He eventually remembers the truth- he asked Terry to care of her while he was dying.

So, with that knowledge, he saves the day, never showing his face yet.
The next 2 Episodes...I mean, 46 minutes or so focus on some minor filler that sort of connects to the Plot.

A Satanic group of Drug Dealers are terrorizing the Alley, driving Spawn to finally help those around him.
Followed by a racist killer- inspired by the dark voice of Malebogia- targets the Black community in the area.

This connects to Terry, who's still hiding out from the Cops/Wynn.
Spawn also learns from another man in the Alley who knows more than he once let on.

Our unseen Narrator is revealed to be this guy, who was apparently also under Malebogia's sway.
Will that get explained later?
Things all come to a head as investigations continue into Wynn without Terry's evidence, thanks to a Reporter (Ming-Na).

Wynn is also spooked by visions of the evil Clown named Violator and knows that someone is coming after him.
Spawn is warned that killing Wynn will just lead to him returning as a Hellspawn (presumably in less than 5 years this time).

He resists the power of revenge, however, choosing to keep his family safe...for now.

See you in the Sequel...er, next Season.
The End.
A pretty good and enjoyable Show, even without seeing the first batch of Episodes.  Like I said, I read a bunch of Spawn as a teenager.

This is, however, the first time I've seen this Show- other than random clips.
I can see why I did not get to watch this back in 1997-98.

The Show is not super-violent, but it definitely takes advantage of being on HBO.  It's mostly just bleak and features lots of moaning.
I'm sure that I'd be miserable in this Al's boots- no question.

I guess my issue is that the supernatural stuff doesn't come up too much here.  It makes all of Spawn's battles pretty low stakes.  He just takes out bad humans and there's not much drama to it.
The only ones come from the idea that he has to protect people- like Terry.

The Show definitely feels different- for better or for worse.
I don't know if it has the same impact in 2024 with stuff out there pushing more boundaries as far as content- especially on Channels like HBO.

I will still get my $1.99 worth out.  Sorry, Todd- I don't think any of that goes to you.

Next up, more stuff from my stack.  Will I turn back to the Remakes?  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment