Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Immediate Response: The Guardians of the Galaxy

Yeah, I missed Opening Weekend.  It wasn't by choice- it just happened.

Regardless, I saw this now, so...enjoy.
THE GOOD
* The film is chock full of laughs, explosions and character moments.
* Beyond that, there is actual emotional resonance for every Character- yes, even the Raccoon.
* Groot and Raccoon are great CG Creations and feel like real Characters once you get used to them.
* The film does a great job of continuing to build up the Marvel Cinematic Universe, giving us some real Thanos, Collector and other Alien moments.  So hyped!
* Great Post-Credits Scene.  That is all I will say about that.
* The Cast is all great, especially the use of Supporting Players like Glenn Close, Peter Serafinowicz, John C. Reilly and others.  The break-out Star here is Chris Pratt.  Good on you, mate!

THE BAD
* There are many loose threads left over.  It is obviously build-up for Sequels and other Films.
* Lloyd Kauffman!  You had to call in that favor for funding Lollilove, didn't you!
* There is alot of back-story to the Alien races that you won't know...but might want to.
* Since I like so much, I have to nitpick.  Ronan's ship set looks like it came out of Prometheus.

That's all I can say.

If you like Sci-Fi fun, go see it.  If you like Comic Book Movies, go see it.  If you like your Sci-Fi Films to be nothing but Space Operas, then you can skip this one.

It is fun.  It is silly.  It actually has some depth once you get past the goofy surface.  Go see it.

Don't be 'that guy' who doesn't see this film since everyone else is.  It is good.

5 comments:

  1. Ha, funny how the bad things you have to say are all kinda positive? Awesome movie! Favorite of the year so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I have no real complaints, I improvise. :-)

      Delete
  2. I didn't see Lloyd Kaufman. Did I miss him when I blinked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they get put in the Prison, they pan across a group of prisoners taunting them. In the middle of that group by the rail is Lloyd Kaufman.

      So yeah, he's not a Main Character or anything, but it is just jarring to me that I keep seeing him when I least expect it. :-)

      Delete
  3. Lloyd's cameo is actually the only thing that would make me check Guardians out. Did I mention that he'll be one of this year's special guests at the /Slash Filmfestival? Should I get an autograph for you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete